The Gaardian Aardwolf Notes Archive

display all notes from
on the board
between and
containing the phrase

showing 50 most recent notes by Starling
Re: Fido/Mail Improvement
Note #40981
posted on Ideas
Sunday, December 2, 2018 @ 02:23
Reply to: Note 40980 posted by Wars

Why not make confiscate a player command?

'confiscate confirm' to confiscate all owned eq back to your pfile for 2tps.
'confiscate divorce confirm' for free confiscate after divorce.

I would imagine there's some overhead involved with searching through pfiles
and picking out your owned eq, but this doesn't strike me as the sort of thing
that is going to be used all the time.  If the overhead is a problem, a modest
cooldown of 20 minutes would more than deal with it.

No idea how much imm time it would actually save, but it's one less thing.
Re: Reason for setwanted ++++
Note #40975
posted on Ideas
Thursday, November 29, 2018 @ 12:10
Reply to: Note 40974 posted by Mitsuda

| I vote to reserve Lasher's coding time for more useful features that do not
| introduce another avenue for harassing other players and more work for the imm
| team.

Buff pthief! :D
Re: SH drink
Note #18181
posted on Bugs
Thursday, November 29, 2018 @ 06:15
Reply to: Note 18180 posted by Dillon

This happens if you have nohunger wish.  Do you have that?
Re: stolen keyword missing for shoplifted goods +
Note #18178
posted on Bugs
Saturday, November 24, 2018 @ 15:46
Reply to: Note 18173 posted by Lasher

Perhaps 'shoplifted' would be a more accurate description of a bandit lifting
random extras from a store?
Re: Gag / gameplay.
Note #40871
posted on Ideas
Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 04:52
Reply to: Note 40868 posted by Starling

This is the other thinking error I've come across.  Yes, some players will
just escalate and act out further, but it's cynical to assume all will do
that.  When they do, then more advanced levels of punishment can be tried,
but it's better to give the person the chance and the choice to correct
themselves before that point.  If they shape up, good - success.  If not,
then the next step can be tried.

Deterrent effect is based largely on the player receiving the feedback.  We
want to discipline and deter bad behavior, but we should only apply the force
that is needed, and not use a 'one size fits all' approach because no one size
fits all and everyone is different.

As for myself I have enough besides channels to not consider quitting, but a
player might very well not.  We don't have 400+ on anymore and can't afford to
just say "too bad" and just let them quit.  If they escalate, we escalate, if
they shape up, we thank them and back off.  That's the right thing to do.
Gag / gameplay.
Note #40868
posted on Ideas
Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 03:44
Posting to ideas although the idea is to fix something I see as a bug or
incomplete treatment of player communication behavior issues.  Hear me out.

I think it's really bad that that channel gag / nochannel should interfere
with PvE gameplay.  For example, sometimes you have to do a social, or say
something in the room to make something happen.  As it stands, gag blocks
both say and emote.  Unlike pre-V3, there are no separate 'nosay', and
'noemote' commands/flags to handle issues specific to them.  A gag is just
a blanket lockout of most methods of talking to people.

I understand that sometimes imms have to gag/nochannel players when they cross
too many lines.  I think all of us are on board with that and recognize that
it sometimes needs to happen and when it does the player did it to themselves.

But bad conduct on channels doesn't necessarily translate to bad conduct via
say or emotes, and I venture to say if it happens it all, the effect is only
significant if done at places like recall or questor, where people tend to
congregate.  If that happens, it can be dealt with if needs be.

The real objective problem is that a channel gag/nochannel breaks the game and
makes certain PvE elements (e.g. goals, navigating certain areas) unplayable.
There is no benefit to having it be that way.  Player conduct towards game
elements and whatnot is an entirely separate issue and has nothing to do with
overstepping on channels, even if the person does it a lot.  It's unrelated,
and goes against multiple principles of good administration and government.

First, punishments should address the relevant issues, but not cause collateral
damage.  They should be specific enough, and of sufficient variety, to address
variants of a general class of problem (e.g. cursing on channels, but otherwise
not harassing anyone or spamming anything).

Second, punishments should be thought out, again to reduce collateral damage
that could work against the player shaping up and behaving better going
forward.  If someone messes up, we want to help them improve, not make them be
worse.  Breaking PvE game elements is frustrating and overall harmful to the
player's game experience and makes it more likely that they will either quit,
or react badly.  Neither of these are desirable outcomes.

A wise man once said fixing this would be like spending tax dollars on jails
instead of schools.  What he missed is that jails can be a school for good or
for bad, and without the right attention and approach, they tend to be bad and
not help matters.  Jails are meant to deter future mistakes, not encourage new
ones, so they need programs and funding to succeed.  So I don't agree with what
he said regarding that.


A lot of it is because of the mentality "too bad, shouldn't have done that."
I agree with it in part, "doing that" should get some feedback and corrective
action, but the problem with "too bad" is that it's just a dismissal, and
gives the message/image that this community is unforgiving - which is exactly
opposite what it really is.  This community is incredibly forgiving, and as
a player gets established the truth is that people will want that person
around, and would be upset to see them leave because of a punishment that
overreaches and gives the impression that the imms are bad and that players
are jerks.  Some will want the person to stay even if they did something bad,
and pretty much all of those will want the person to stop doing it so they
can enjoy having them around.  It's just how Aardwolf's community is.  How we
handle those who step out of line should go along with that, not overreach and
break the actual game "just because too bad".

This note is long because I expect the usual reactions and hope I can get it
across that I'm pushing for adding nosay, noemote, and making gag not a blanket
lockout on the grounds that its overreaching is harmful, and that nochannel is
basically incomplete, in that it lacks the flexibility of V2 and earlier.  It
does cause collateral damage, which is something ideally avoided.

The TLDR bottom line is that gag shouldn't prevent players from playing the
game, in many instances it does just that.  It is a channel content control
device, and a punishment and is necessary sometimes.  I'm for that.  I just
don't think it should interfere with gameplay/PvE.

Is this a reasonable point of view?  Would you please consider 'funding the
jails' and make nochannel etc. work like it did before V3?  Or am I totally
bat-shipwrecked insane and out in left field?

Lastly, at some point I'm going to either get off nochannel or stop caring,
and at that point the punishment will no longer affect me.  I'll either be
too busy talking, or will have moved my focus to other things.  I don't need
to discuss my situation with anyone but the imms.  What I don't like, though,
is the idea of a player quitting the game because his nochan made him fail a
cp.  Yes, it's "just a cp" and "too bad" whatever, regardless I wouldn't be ok
with that happening, and neither should anyone.
Re: Two distinct mobs showing up as quest mobs +
Note #18163
posted on Bugs
Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 03:15
Reply to: Note 18162 posted by Zoot

And this is why we don't plagiarize or copy each other's notes in class, kids ;)

At least he didn't copy Xeno, heh ;)
Re: Thief stuff +
Note #40867
posted on Ideas
Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 02:58
Reply to: Note 40865 posted by Mondaine

| This sounds like it could address some of the issues thieves face
| in regards to the timing of moving from a backstabb hit to melee
| damage. It can be as fast as less than 1 second after backstab before melee
| kicks in or as long as 3 seconds.

IMHO it would be an improvement to have backstab lead directly into the
first round of combat.  I think it would make it a lot smoother.

| round of melee, it's basically renderes the speed factor of backstab
| and quickstab completely useless.

This is the part I don't understand.  Certainly, above relatively 'low level'
I don't kill the round after backstab, or the round after that, or the round
after that.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  With damage versus players being less
than damage versus mobs I can't imagine the scenario you describe and can only
assume I don't know what I'm doing, or what I could do different.

I don't have great gear, but even with better gear fights stopped being 1 round
and done by the time I hit level 90 and were well on their way out before then.

If I'm doing something wrong, help me out and explain what it is.  If not, then I
don't know if thief is as powerful as you make it out to be.  It doesn't feel
that way to me.  Note I don't feel gimped either, but regardless stuff doesn't
just instant-die for me.

I think pthief needs a buff, in terms of damage, and in terms of added stealthy
and 'cheap' tactics like throwing ghost pepper / blinding powder in the enemy's
face.  Thief/rogue classes are a staple of rpg type games and generally rely on
evasion, not playing fair, and generally being a pain in the ass, all aimed at
getting both your GP and your HP.  A modest damage boost, evasion/escape
skills, and crowd control beyond strangle (6-second i.e. 2 rounds in-combat
stun/incap would be where I'd start.

If it's too much it can always be dialed back but the first step is to give
something new a try; I say go for it and let's see where things land.
Re: AardMUSH+Scripting Tutorial ++
Note #7782
posted on Tech
Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 01:16
Reply to: Note 7768 posted by DjVoltron

Mushclient is endorsed by Lasher and the rest of the administration, because
they know it will generally enchance the game and increase enjoyment for the
people playing it.  They endorse it even though they know it can be used to do
bad things, and help us not do those things by setting rules for us.  They
even tolerate what they see as 'grey area' because they know that disagreeing
with something doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad - but the extent and
existence of that area is ultimately up to them.

I think of it as an alternate scenario that would have played out if Zeus had
not so jealously guarded fire as his own.  When Prometheus stole it, Zeus
treated him with anger and vengeance, not understanding that keeping fire to
himself only drove Prometheus' curiosity and desire further.  Punishing
Prometheus did nothing to put the cat back in the bag.  It just made Zeus
sort-of-but-not-really feel better, and made him look like an ass besides.

The better decision would have been to give fire to the mortals (in essence,
that's what endorsing mushclient does) and setting some limits on its use.  Do
cool things with it, have fun with it, build stuff, make things happen.  Just
don't do anything that breaks the world or makes things worse.  Be smart and
responsible about what you're doing.  Here's the list of what not to do, if
you do them it's a problem, keep doing them and you're a problem, and you'll
both be solved if needs be.

Entirely reasonable and enlightened, and clearly intended.  By your own logic,
you should have no problem with people using scripts in general.

It makes sense
Re: StatMon - What is position (number) +
Note #7781
posted on Tech
Saturday, November 17, 2018 @ 01:05
Reply to: Note 7761 posted by Tymme

The state numbers given in help telopts are those sent via GMCP.

Statmon sends different numbers than GMCP:

1 - asleep
2 - resting
3 - sitting
4 - in combat
5 - standing, not in combat

There are no values to describe afk or running state.  I'm not sure if those
five are the only states sent via statmon.  Note/desc edit likewise give no
change of state as they send no statmon tag.
LF advice in re computer power supplies.
Note #7780
posted on Tech
Friday, November 16, 2018 @ 22:39
Hi all,

Looking at my laptop I see that it runs on ~11.1 volts DC.

How tolerant are computers' internal power handling circuits to small over-
voltages?  Specifically, ~12.9 volts (lead-acid boat battery)?  Do they just
go pop immediately, or do they have some capability to buck or otherwise
handle the extra 2 volts?

Thanks for any help or information.
Ninjaz
Note #40863
posted on Ideas
Thursday, November 15, 2018 @ 08:58
Buff plz
Re: Talsa Vegetable is flagged as key ++++
Note #18150
posted on Bugs
Friday, November 9, 2018 @ 20:31
Reply to: Note 18145 posted by Mordist

I actually like the Deathtrap items going on the keyring.
 
I suggest against changing it.

Of course I expect you to ignore this categorically.

Re: Sloth Effect removal at Clan/Manor/Aylor Healer +
Note #40822
posted on Ideas
Friday, November 9, 2018 @ 01:44
Reply to: Note 40788 posted by Tram

I think the real solution here is to allow more 'technological' areas under
the building rules, which would allow for sloth removal effects via getting
shocked up the butt because you sat on a 11kv downed powerline.

Could work?
Pthief retreat in wars +++++++
Note #40724
posted on Ideas
Saturday, October 27, 2018 @ 18:43
Reply to: Note 40723 posted by Tymme

I've always thought wars would be more fun if you didn't get kicked out as
soon as you die.  It would make them more fun if there were respawns, imho.
Re: bug in academy training
Note #18135
posted on Bugs
Saturday, October 27, 2018 @ 04:39
Reply to: Note 18133 posted by Gedeon

I'd guess it's set up like this in case you lose the bag, you can go get
another one.  
Re: Rosalind, Radiance Woods
Note #16827
posted on Typos
Friday, October 26, 2018 @ 21:06
Reply to: Note 16824 posted by Androg

I usually caution against changing speech unless there's clearly a mistake. The
comma implies less of a pause than a semicolon, as in conversational speech,
as opposed to something like a room or other description.  Maybe Rosalind just
talks fast, due to being worked up from dancing.
Re: bunch of heavy keys, melody
Note #16813
posted on Typos
Wednesday, October 24, 2018 @ 16:30
Reply to: Note 16812 posted by Tymme

No, because the "it" in what does it open refers to the bunch, not the keys.
"Keys" in this case is the object of the preposition, while the subject 
is "bunch".  So we are asking what does it [the bunch] open, so the pronoun
agree with the word it is standing in for.
Re: 'goals' output
Note #16807
posted on Typos
Monday, October 22, 2018 @ 16:28
Reply to: Note 16805 posted by Tymme

Or could just make the goal desc wrap within its column. I don't think that
would look bad.
Northstar / Elana Pendalton
Note #16792
posted on Typos
Saturday, October 20, 2018 @ 02:25
Amanda and Arianna Pendalton both have their last name as a keyword,
but Elana is missing hers.
seige camp / knock off brother
Note #16791
posted on Typos
Friday, October 19, 2018 @ 17:41
Intuitively, one might expect this mob to have 'brother' as a keyword,
because it's the only noun/object in the mob name.  Can it be added?
wear/remove using item id and quotes.
Note #18124
posted on Bugs
Thursday, October 18, 2018 @ 06:36
wear 477877485  -> I equip Gwillimberry portal in portal slot.
wear '477877485'  -> I equip Gwillimberry portal in portal slot.
rem 477877485 -> I un-equip the portal
rem '477877485' -> It tells me "You are not wearing that item."

I checked eq and I am still wearing the portal.  It looks like when referencing
the item by its unique id, wear will work with or without quotes around the
number, whereas remove only works without quotes.  With quotes it doesn't
recognize the item.

Kerofk area range
Note #18122
posted on Bugs
Wednesday, October 17, 2018 @ 09:26
Kerofk's area range is 5 to 100, but looking at mobdeaths/mobquest, the
highest level mob I see is 'the orb' which is level 29.

I think the range should be 5 to 25, or 5 to 30 as it would better reflect
the actual levels of the mobs in the zone.
Search and Destroy v2.0 (rel-1.0.7)
Note #27678
posted on General
Monday, October 15, 2018 @ 09:16
Good morning,

I just uploaded the latest S&D update, available on my Github as usual.  It's
a lot of internal code changes for the most part, along with some cosmetic and
functional changes.  The main thing is that it should feel crisper and faster.

https://github.com/AardStarling/Search-and-Destroy-v2.0

Details are in the readme, as always.

There is also a help file, which replaces the help that I removed from the code
itself.  It was becoming very outdates and took up a lot of room, and was just
in general a mess.

Let me know if there are any issues and I'll do what I can.  Happy hunting!
Re: *agree
Note #40612
posted on Ideas
Saturday, October 13, 2018 @ 07:35
Reply to: Note 40611 posted by Tymme

No, don't.  I miss socials like "You think now is a good time
for a nap."  And similar socials that were phased out or changed years
ago.  Does anyone else miss that stuff?  I sure do.  Don't change it.
Contacting me via personal note is best.
Note #27672
posted on General
Wednesday, October 10, 2018 @ 11:53
Subject says it.  I work a crappy schedule so most of the time I'm not
actually here.  If I don't answer your tells that's why; I'm either at
work or asleep because working in a warehouse is tiring.

Write me a personal note and I'll get back to you.  I can't get back to
you in much of a meaningful way if you send me a tell like "I have a
question" and then log off.  It kinda just don't work, ninja.

Thanks for all your support and I'll have an update to S&D coming out soon.
Re: Item limits +++++
Note #40592
posted on Ideas
Tuesday, October 9, 2018 @ 06:09
Reply to: Note 40591 posted by Fiendish

> I don't make the rules around here, but I disagree.

On what basis?
Re: Daily Blessing Token Cleanup!
Note #40583
posted on Ideas
Saturday, October 6, 2018 @ 20:16
Reply to: Note 40581 posted by Zoot

I think they should all be tradeable again, especially the area reset tokens.

The main (only?) reason I can recall for their being made owned is that
pranger/shaman subclass union threw a fit and complained that it was diluting
their monopoly on summon life.  I think that's an incredibly minor concern
and should be ignored.
Re: Player names- allow numbers and dash/underscore
Note #40580
posted on Ideas
Saturday, October 6, 2018 @ 00:54
Reply to: Note 40575 posted by Tymme

Can we take Advenchurer off the badname list?
Re: Bring Back the Debate Channel +
Note #40554
posted on Ideas
Wednesday, October 3, 2018 @ 05:53
Reply to: Note 40553 posted by Wars

> We were told we wouldnt be told to "move it to another channel" since 
> some imms seem to disagree with this and continue to ask us to move it to 
> another channel then yes maybe Debate should come back.

I'd rather those imms be told to back off.
Re: The Covenant of Mistridge - a peasant girl +
Note #16758
posted on Typos
Friday, September 28, 2018 @ 20:21
Reply to: Note 16757 posted by Redryn

It's good form to have relevant adjectives be keywords along with relevant
nouns, and there has never been any issue with having them added when
missing.  Not sure why you have such a problem with this.
Re: nospellup command ++
Note #40505
posted on Ideas
Wednesday, September 26, 2018 @ 16:49
Reply to: Note 40502 posted by Fiendish

> every time someone makes me invisible when I don't want to be.

Well, we can't make questor invis anymore so we have to get our kicks somehow.

Re: Brilliant Ideas for the Betterment of Aard
Note #40471
posted on Ideas
Monday, September 24, 2018 @ 08:09
Reply to: Note 40465 posted by SeanJac

| 4. Why do people benefit from the dodge of other classes when they remort
| into them? There should only be one dodge type you can benefit from. Dodge
| as it is now is OP. Please change.

If you run statistics on this, you find that your remort class dodges
occur at a much smaller frequency than your primary class dodges.  This
small added benefit is not OP.
Re: hammer weapon type ++++
Note #40462
posted on Ideas
Sunday, September 23, 2018 @ 15:17
Reply to: Note 40461 posted by Wars

I understand, I just think it should be left as 'one of those things'.

Allowing to change non-metal weapons to hammer would be a buff to an already
strong class, and tbh other classes should have their legitimate issues
looked at first.  The weapon isn't unusable by any means, it's just not
usable in the way some would like - that doesn't make it broken.

Then again I don't play BS so have no idea how hard the nerf bat just hit,
although I know from experience in other games that it's never something you
look forward to when it's your own class getting it.
Re: hammer weapon type ++
Note #40460
posted on Ideas
Sunday, September 23, 2018 @ 14:04
Reply to: Note 40459 posted by Level

I think it should be left as one of the downsides to playing a class that is
otherwise strong.  Just because you rolled blacksmith doesn't mean you should
be able to take the most powerful weapon you want, turn it into a hammer, and
move everything down even faster.
mobdeaths/mobquests
Note #18081
posted on Bugs
Sunday, September 23, 2018 @ 10:32
The widening treatment didn't apply to mobquests.
Re: Global Quest Reset Tokens +
Note #40451
posted on Ideas
Sunday, September 23, 2018 @ 04:35
Reply to: Note 40450 posted by Tymme

That same helpfile also mentions that campaigns are a level based feature,
if you want to campaign again, you need to level, but we have cp reset tokens
just the same.

There was nothing harmful about sitting at level 1 getting extra qp from losing
gq's, you can get far more qps in a solid day of campaigning.  I doubt if much
will be hurt if someone occasionally gets an extra 300 qp before they need to
level up.  
comm.quest inconsistencies.
Note #18076
posted on Bugs
Saturday, September 22, 2018 @ 04:31
I don't know if these inconsistencies are intended or not, and am not sure if
to post on bugs or typos, but regardless.

There are inconsistencies with the names of certain fields: time/timer, and
targ/target.

The page with this info is also missing comm.quest output for player off
quest, but must wait before taking new.

I was going to describe it in more detail in this note, but writing and
editing such a tedious description didn't sound like fun.  I just copied the
info from the aardwiki page at

@      http://www.aardwolf.com/wiki/index.php/Clients/GMCP

into an image, edited it, and pasted it online at:

@      https://pasteboard.co/HF2BhJx.png


Similar fields are the same color, but are either single or double boxed to
show how they are different.

Are they supposed to be different?  From my perspective as a script writer,
the differences ultimately aren't a problem, but it still seems odd.

Lua / C.
Note #7744
posted on Tech
Friday, September 21, 2018 @ 20:34
If I write a program in C, how do I get Mushclient/Lua to send data to it?
Re: Jotunheim - A Mountain Path
Note #16745
posted on Typos
Thursday, September 20, 2018 @ 07:49
Reply to: Note 16742 posted by Dathon

I think "through the mountains" is actually correct.  The room desc for 31505
says the path ('hidden trail') "leads up into the mountains".

A mountain path can refer to a path through a mountainous region as well as
a path on a single mountain, so the room desc for 31533 accords with that too.
Re: Colors +
Note #40427
posted on Ideas
Monday, September 17, 2018 @ 16:32
Reply to: Note 40423 posted by Crowley

Crowley likes it when you send him randomly-multicolored tells :D
pthief ideas
Note #40409
posted on Ideas
Sunday, September 16, 2018 @ 05:14
1) Thief is a melee class so it should get either the full melee version of
enhanced damage, or a version intermediate between that and the non-melee
version that casters (and thief) get.

2) Instead of making thief a high damage/fast grinding class like blacksmith
and warrior in general, make thief a high mitigation by avoidance class.
Where other classes have one class dodge, thief would get three:  misdirection,
deft avoidance, and sidestep.  Each of these would function as a full class
dodge versus melee, but each would have its particulars:

 - riposte:  when an enemy attack is misdirected, thief counter-attacks

 - sidestep: Against melee it would be a normal dodge.  Against magic attacks,
   the thief learns to step out of the way of fireballs, lightning, and the
   like, giving the thief a chance to reduce a spell's damage by up to 90%.

 - deft avoidance: more effective against incoming melee than misdirection and
   sidestep.  Think Bronn fighting Ser Vardis and you get the idea.

Thief should deliver solid melee since it's a melee class, but not every class
needs to mow through everything in sight like hammerswing, or be the fastest
grind class.  Thief is the kind of class that would want to avoid damage
instead of trying to tank it, so it makes sense they would dodge and move all
over the place, and be generally annoying to kill.
lbid numbers
Note #40408
posted on Ideas
Saturday, September 15, 2018 @ 22:05
Lbid numbers have passed the 90000 mark so I'd like to ask:  Please make them
roll over to 1 instead of going to 100000.  There is nothing to be gained by
having to type 6 digits.  For whatever reason, my brain likes to transpose
digits and the process of correctly typing a 5-digit number is just... not
smooth.  They're just really aggravating to me.  Six will be even worse.

I think lbid should roll over to 1 and should roll over after 9999.  I should
probably just write a script at this point, but have always just done lbid
manually, and a 4-digit id is easier to type and ensures that auction listings
are uniquely identified (within a relevant time frame).

If listings are logged by the system just make the current lbid id the 'serial'
number and store it internally.  If multiples of 10000 are skipped, then serial
modulo 10000 -> lbid id gives a range of 1 to 9999, very simple.

At any rate please roll it over after 99999! :)

Thanks
noscan mobs / closed clan halls
Note #40405
posted on Ideas
Friday, September 14, 2018 @ 21:52
I notice that Dominion's trainer (Rasputin) is noscan.  All well and good when
the clan was in business, because active clans can set their mobs to whatever
they like.  Now that the clan is closed and its assets have reverted to the
Crown, I think noscan trainers, shopkeepers, and similar mobs should be made
scannable, for the public good.
Tp enchant info ++++++++
Note #40395
posted on Ideas
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 @ 06:17
Reply to: Note 40394 posted by Starling

Put another way, suppose person A and person B sell the same weapon, same dr,
same everything.  Except:

 - Person A got unlucky, spent 200 tps, and is asking 200.
 - Person B got lucky, spent 110 tps, and is asking 120.

Which weapon do you think I'm going to buy?

Who is going to buy person A's weapon?  Most likely no one, so instead of
getting some return, person A gets no return at all.  The only people
who would pay the 200 would be folks who don't know enough to question
what they're being told, or people who have been misled or denied critical,
need-to-know information.  Seller can of course claim "buy beware, should
have known" but now they're in the Dexter zone and it just isn't going to
fly, because people like me will be damned if we let it.  Person A ends up
looking like a schmuck and a crook, and that reputation will stay with
them and cost them, long after their attempted sale in the here and now.

So, you know what?  Go ahead and implement this change, it will help people
like me shop around for better deals.  The ones who want to complain about
their crappy luck and "get what they deserve" will get exactly that - no sale.

Re: Tp enchant info ++++++++
Note #40394
posted on Ideas
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 @ 05:53
Reply to: Note 40383 posted by Crowley

| We base our evaluation not on the HR/DR of the object, but about how
| many trivia points were put into it, because if a person put in 100 trivia
| points to max enchant it, then we want to pay what we feel 100 trivia 
| points is worth plus the value of the weapon. 

The thing is, I don't care how many trivia points you claim to have spent
on tp-enchanting your weapon.  I can't prove how much you spent, either way.
I can only prove that the average cost per hr/dr is 1.4 trivia points, because
that is what experiments show and those experiments can be easily replicated.

If you want me to pay more than that, then you have to convince me to do that
based on some other criteria of merit and whatever sales pitch you can put
forward.

I'll assume that most people won't try to pull a Dexter and resort to things
like blatant deception^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hslight embellishment,
but you could of course do that too.

Another thing is, if you sell multiple tpenchanted weapons, some of those will
have a lot of luckies and therefore fewer tp put into them, others will be less
lucky and will have cost you more, but in the end with enough sales the average
price converges to the experimental average of 1.4 tps per dr.

This note is mainly aimed at the thread but your note just happened to lay out
the (albeit fallacious) logic in a way that was easier to respond to.

S&D 2.0.0 bug fixes.
Note #27645
posted on General
Monday, September 10, 2018 @ 08:54
Fixed a couple of bugs related to noexp at level 200/1.  In cases like this I'm
not going to change the overall version number (2.0.0) but I will update the
release number (at this time, 1.3) as needed.

There are some qualify of life enhancements on the way.  That will get a new
version number (2.0.1)

Re: Manor Shopkeeper upgrade
Note #40371
posted on Ideas
Monday, September 10, 2018 @ 06:37
Reply to: Note 40370 posted by Crowley

You mean you don't like all the free stuff I give you?  How rude!
Re: lottery odds
Note #40301
posted on Ideas
Saturday, August 25, 2018 @ 18:42
Reply to: Note 40297 posted by Tymme

Does the lottery just roll d60 three times, or does it roll d60, d59, d58?

I don't often play, so I've never paid attention to whether it repeats numbers.

If the former then jackpot odds would go from 1/36000 to 1/57166.6-bar.

If the latter then jackpot odds would go from 1/34220 to 1/54740.

Assuming I calculated it right.  You have to remember that the winning numbers
can be arranged in 6 different ways and all of them are winners, making the
actual odds better than what you'd get if you only do the multiplication part,
i.e. 1/60^3 or 1/(60*59*58).
creating new sqlite database
Note #7731
posted on Tech
Friday, August 24, 2018 @ 20:12
If someone could just give me an example or basic explanation of what to do.
I'm reading over the things on Gammon's site and it's safe to say at this point
that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.